2021 One Act Festival – Call for Submissions and Directors
Festival Dates: July 23rd – 25th and July 30th – August 1st, 2021
For the first time ever, our hugely popular One Act Weekend expands to a two-weekend festival!
Weekend #1 will feature 8 original short plays written and directed by adults. Weekend #2 will feature 8 original short plays written and directed by teens.
Audiences will experience an eclectic mix of short plays never-before produced in Florida, featuring comedy, drama, and everything in between!
In addition to thrilling sell-out crowds, this exciting event provides playwrights with an opportunity to see their work produced and provides emerging directors with experience under the guidance of seasoned mentors.
CALL TO PLAYWRIGHTS!
Carrollwood Players Theatre is accepting submissions of original One Act Plays for consideration to be featured on our stage during our 2021 One Act Festival
- We are seeking submissions from ADULTS (18+) for the first weekend of the festival.
- We are seeking submissions from TEENS (13-17) for the second weekend of the festival.
- Scripts must be original material, unpublished and not previously produced on stage (including staged readings) in Florida.
- Plays must be a maximum of 15 minutes long. There is no minimum length.
- Plays will be performed against black curtain. Play settings should be simple or suggested.
- There are no restrictions on language or mature themes. We do not rule out content similar to an R film rating, however we prefer material similar in content to a G or PG film rating, and we will not produce plays that require full nudity.
- Entries are selected for production anonymously; we will only consider manuscript quality.
- Due to the volume of submissions, we regret we cannot acknowledge receipt of your script or provide feedback about your script.
- Scripts submitted without the entry fee will not be considered.
- By submitting your play(s), you grant us permission to present your play(s) on stage and via live stream during the festival (if selected.)
- There are no royalties paid, however winning playwrights will receive prize money (see below.)
Application Deadline: Scripts must be received by 5:00 pm March 17, 2021. We reserve the right to end submissions early depending on volume.
Announcement: Selections will be announced in April, 2021.
New for 2021!
The winning playwright for each weekend (based on audience votes for favorite play) will receive a prize of $75. The second place playwright will receive a prize of $25.
All playwrights of plays selected for production in the festival will receive a limited number of complimentary in-person tickets (for local playwrights) or live stream tickets (for out of town playwrights.)
All playwrights of plays selected for production will also receive a video of the production.
Entry Fee: $5.00 includes up to three submissions.
To submit your play(s) by email, you must first pay the $5 entry fee (for up to 3 plays) online BEFORE you email your play(s).
Entry fees may be paid HERE.
Once you have paid your entry fee online, you may email your play(s) in PDF format to: [email protected]
In the BODY OF YOUR EMAIL, please provide the play title, author’s name, author’s telephone number, author’s e-mail and author’s age if a teen submitter. The playwright’s information should not appear anywhere in the PDF script.
We regret we cannot accept submissions or payments by regular mail.
CALL FOR DIRECTORS!
Carrollwood Players Theatre is seeking applications from Tampa area emerging directors for our 2021 One Act Festival.
- We are seeking ADULT (18+) directors for the first weekend of the festival.
- We are seeking TEEN (13-17) directors for the second weekend of the festival.
Directors will participate in selecting one act plays for the production, and will be assigned one play to direct under the guidance of a seasoned mentor.
Directors will participate in auditions and casting for their play, and conduct rehearsals to bring their play to life on stage.
This is an unpaid opportunity for emerging directors seeking experience.
The timeline and responsibilities for this opportunity are as follows:
Mid-February to Mid- April: Directors will work together to read play submissions and select scripts for production in the One Act Festival.
Late May to Late July: Directors will conduct auditions and lead rehearsals for their play, including a tech week in late July.
Directors must be available for auditions on May 23 and 24, 2021 and for tech week, the week prior to opening night of their respective One Act Festival Weekend.
Application Deadline: Applicants must complete the online application form no later than 5:00 pm on February 17th, 2021
Complete the online application HERE.